Wednesday - September 15, 2010
Monday I put a call into my doctor's office to see what my next course of action was for this whole "my pregnancy test(s) came back positive" situation we're in. Still in somewhat of a state of shock and disbelief - NOT UNHAPPY THOUGH. I don't want this to be misconstrued! Very excited - but definite thoughts of what could go wrong keep clouding my head. I need to be optimistic though and keep those prayers going that what is happening is all part of God's plan.
So anyway - back to what I was saying. I call my doctor and the receptionist said "congratulations" (not enthusiastically) when I told her I had taken a test over the weekend that was positive. I proceeded to tell her that I wasn't sure what the next step was and she informed me (which I already knew) that they typically schedule the 1st appointment when the pregnancy is 8-10 weeks along. I told her that I understood that, but the doctor had told me at my last appointment when we were discussing that Steve and I were hopping on this baby train and were going to start trying, that I needed to call the office when my test came back positive so that I can talk to the high-risk doctor (as I've mentioned in a previous post). There was major confusion, b/c there are no high-risk doctors at this practice. She ended up taking a message for the pre-natal nurse and told me the pre-natal nurse would be calling me back.
After I hung up - it occurred to me that when I was talking to the doctor at my last visit, she mentioned the office I would go to in Rex Hospital was part of UNC Hospital and I would meet with a high-risk doctor there. You would THINK the person answering the phone would be familiar with referrals to this practice for high-risk pregnancies, but I suppose not.
The nurse called me back later that day and had spoken to the doctor to clarify what I need to do, which was to start taking a baby aspirin daily (check - already doing that), meet with the high-risk doctor for a consult (counseling session I guess) and schedule an appt. to come in for a 7 week ultrasound - earlier than normal but I guess considering my genetic issue, that's why (scheduled for 9/27 at 9:50am). Steve will be joining me on this visit. She told me the UNC office would be in touch w/ me to schedule the high-risk consult soon.
I heard from the UNC office yesterday (Tuesday) and there was confusion there too! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come! She was really nice but asked if I was coming in for an ultrasound. I said I don't know! Maybe? And explained the situation. She then thought I meant that I needed to come in for genetic counseling and I said I don't think so. I've already undergone genetic testing to find out that I carry this gene (and counseling as a result of the testing), so I just need to find out if anything special needs to be taking place right now or if I can just carry on doing normal pregnant woman things. So she kindly placed me on hold and spoke to the doctor to confirm I just need to come in for a counseling session of some sort. So we scheduled that appointment for Monday - 9/20 @ 8am. Steve will not be at the appointment - I don't think there is a need. We'll see how the appointments go and I'll report back next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment