Wednesday, May 2, 2012

First Overnight w/o AG!

This Saturday I will head up the highway about 25 miles to my friend Ariane's house for a mini girls weekend/overnight. There are 9 of us getting together, 8 spending the night. This will be my first overnight away from her. Granted, I spend 11 hours/day during the week away from her while I'm at work. But overnight is different.
Steve and I (well, really just me) have been trying to transition Aubrey into her crib for a few weeks now. We had fallen into the routine of letting her sleep in our bed for ease (mainly for me) of middle-of-the-night feedings. When she hit 4 months old, she went through a sleep regression. She had been doing so well sleeping through the night and then it was like a switch was flipped and she started struggling to stay asleep when we put her to bed. She was still sleeping in her moses basket, but when she started pushing herself backwards while she was in the basket, i started worrying she was going to hurt herself (like her head, pushing it into the edge of the basket). So I pulled her into our bed. And there she stayed. For a month. With us.
I'll be honest. I love having her sleep beside me. She snuggles right up. But bed sharing is something I swore I would never do. It can be dangerous, even lead to death. Last week, my dad texted me about a story on inside edition about co-sleeping and a couple who lost not only 1 child, but 2 children on separate occasions because of co-sleeping. You would think the first time would have scared them enough not to ever do it again, but a year later they found themselves facing charges in the death of their 2nd child.
That night, I tried the crib again. That story was looming over me and I couldn't shake it. Everyone thinks "it won't happen to me" but I DON'T want it to happen to me! So for the 1st time, Aubrey stayed in her crib ALL NIGHT. Yes, I had to get up a few times during the night to comfort her/feed her, but the point is, she went to bed in her crib and awoke in her crib. Next fear - her sleeping on her stomach! But that's another blog post for another day.
So back to the reason I started this blog post - Saturday Steve will be in charge of getting her all ready for bed, fed and put to bed. He will be the one getting up during the night to try and calm her when she wakes up crying. Maybe he'll feed her, maybe he'll see if he can just calm her back to sleep. Of course it's easiest for me b/c I have a boob I can just throw in her mouth and she will nurse back to sleep. Not so easy for Steve! 
We have yet to have a full night of uninterrupted sleep. I was hoping if we stuck with the crib sleeping routine that maybe by the time Saturday gets here, she will have slept straight though the night - but unless that happens it the next 3 nights, i'm not sure Steve will be that lucky. We did get a good 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night though! Baby girl slept from 12:30am - 6:30am without me having to go into her room and comfort her. So maybe, just maybe, another switch will be flipped and we'll get 10 hrs of uninterrupted sleep!
And let's not talk about her leaking diapers!
I'll report back on Sunday to tell you how everything went!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment