Thursday, April 19, 2012

1st Sickness - 4.16.12

Aubrey girl was hit with her first nasty cold at 4.5 months old. She went to bed Sunday night with some sneezing and a little bit of a runny nose and started getting congested during the night. Monday morning I took her over to Charlene's, cautioning her that I thought Aubrey might be dealing with her first cold, but that I felt she was probably okay, overall. I didn't think she had a fever and she seemed happy when I was getting her ready for Charlene's. I didn't take her temperature.

A few hours later, I got a text saying Charlene thought Aubrey felt warm and wanted to know if I wanted her to take her temperature (still being young, this means rectal - eek). So I said sure, and Charlene being the AWESOME CAREGIVER THAT SHE IS, took her temp. Sure enough - 101.5. Aubrey girl had a fever. It's advised for a child 4-6 months of age to see a doctor for a temp above 101, so I called the peeds office and left work to get Aubrey. 

Poor girl was PITIFUL. Not her happy self, hot and snotty - everywhere. I waited at Charlene's for the nurse to call from her peeds office and once i got the call, I took Aubrey in. We were seen right away - pretty good for a walk-in. The nurse took her temp (more bootie action) and she was not very gentle about it, so it made Aubrey start to cry. As soon as she was done, I picked her up and calmed her down. Why be so rough? That nurse wouldn't want a thermometer shoved up her bootie so fast, would she? 

We saw the female doctor in the practice. She was super nice and thorough. She did a nasal swab to test for RSV which came back negative. It was concluded that it was just a simple cold and that all we could do was keep an eye on her, snuggle and take care of her to get better. I stayed home from work on Tuesday and mom came into town and helped out. She watched Aubrey on Wednesday when I went back to work. Aubrey kicked the overall feeling of misery pretty quickly. She is still dealing with a little bit of a runny nose and some congestion - but is pretty much back to sweet, smiling Aubrey. 

She did pass it to me. I came down w/ a fever on Thursday. So I stayed home again and mom helped with Aubrey until she had to leave and head back home later that afternoon after an ultrasound for Aubrey.

Ultrasound for Aubrey? What am I talking about, you may wonder? I've mentioned before that there is a mass on Aubrey's back that I noticed when she was pretty young (around 2 months of age - I can't recall exactly how old she was when I first noticed it). I've asked just about every medical professional I know or come across what their thoughts are on it and just about every single person has said they thought it was a fatty mass (or Lipoma - medical term). Well - when I brought it up at her 2 month check up, the pedi said we sould keep an eye on it, that it was probably a Lipoma. A course of action that might be taken in the future is to have an ultrasound done of the mass to see if blood is flowing through it. 

Fast forward to her 4 month check up. We switched practices and saw a new doctor - an older gentleman. He, also thinking Lipoma, suggested we go and see a pediatric plastic surgeon to see if it needs to be removed. He did NOT think it was vascular b/c it "wasn't blue enough". An appt. was made but it wasn't until SEPTEMBER!! 6 months away! Guess it wasn't that urgent!

Skip to current day. I'm just going to go ahead and praise God that Aubrey got sick because it led us back to the doctor, a different doctor, that advised we get an ultrasound done. Non-invasive procedure that can be done quickly and help us determine what the mass is and what the next steps should be. Turns out the mass IS VASCULAR. So the doc was able to work us in to see the plastic surgeon on May 3rd. Likely we will have to have the mass removed, which quite frankly freaks me out. BUT I have faith in God and know that everything will be okay. I need to keep my worrying to a minimum b/c that will only make things harder. 

So there you have it - I will update when I have more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment